Sunday 17 October 2010

Sridevi in and as Malini Iyer (2004): Sridevi's first and only sitcom for Sahara TV

As a hardcore Sridevi fan, I have every episode of the ill-fated TV Show on Sahara, Malini Iyer.

It pains to type this but... truth be told, if there was ever a show with wasted resources, it was Malini Iyer. It started with a bang but with shoddy writing and sloppy direction, the contrived sitcom fizzled out. Shame. 

Sridevi had some truly spectacular scenes in the show and she looked amazing and acted well... which is sort of a given now. Is is there any doubt to her legend? Esp her vast comedic skills?

Even the supporting cast wasn't too bad but it needed a tighter edit and a bit more imagination, better writing, direction... oh... Too many loopholes in production. 

I've never wanted to like a show more... the return of Sridevi... her first show on television... ever... It was a momentous occasion for millions of her fans. But... but... but... It just didn't work. The TRP ratings were spectacular.. in the beginning. But the fall from grace period was swift and sudden. No signs of the sitcom returning for season two. 




Mahesh Thakur (Sri's co-star in MI), "I have been a fan of Sridevi and playing her husband was a big feather in my cap. Initially I thought she would have Bollywood star tantrums and attitude but she is nothing of that sort. She is extremely mischievous and the soul of our serial." 

-- The Times of India, Jan, 2004
































1 comment:

  1. Respected Admin...
    I request you to please give me all the episodes. YouTube doesn't have all the episodes 😭 they have only till 104, that too done important ones aren't there. Please contact me hello me out.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete